Direkt zum Inhalt Direkt zur Suche Direkt zur Navigation  

intercultural trainings
Intercultural Trainings

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - HU International

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin | HU International | From Abroad | Applicants | Online Application for Studies at Humboldt

Online Application for Studies at Humboldt

to be submitted by international students bound to study on the basis of university partnerships, Fulbright and other scholarships (except DAAD and IPS)


Congratulations! You have been nominated by your home university for studies at Humboldt-Universität on the basis of an exchange programme, or you have been granted a Fulbright or other scholarship.

Here is some important information that may help you to make your application and prepare for the enrolment.

The academic year at Humboldt-Universität is divided into two semesters:

  1. Winter Semester (1 October to 31 March)
  2. Summer Semester (1 April to 30 September)


Deadlines for Applying
  • Winter Semester: 15 May  (prescribed period 1 March to 15 May)
  • Summer Semester: 1 December (prescribed period 1 October to 1 December)


Please note: Medical students coming to Humboldt must contact: CHIC (Charité International Cooperation). They should not use this online system.


The deadlines and prescribed periods refer to applications made to the International Office of Humboldt-Universität. Applications made for studies in the Summer Semester will only be processed only after 15 November, and applications made for the Winter Semester only after 15 April. Any application queries cannot be answered before these dates.


Language requirements
  • A good command of German is a prerequisite of success in studies at Humboldt-Universität, because the academic language is generally German - with few exceptions.
  • Test your knowledge of German using the Online German Placement Test (C-Test) of the Humboldt Language Centre. As a rule, a minimum of 35 to 50 points must be scored in the Test, depending on the requirements of the various faculties. In this context the brochure Merkblatt Sprachniveau might be helpful.
  • Equally recognized language tests include:
    • the Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung, or the Kleine or Große Deutsche Sprachdiplom, or
    • the DSH (Deutsche Sprachprüfung zum Hochschulzugang), or
  • the TestDaF Certificate


Applying and Getting Prepared
  1. Register at the home page of Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, International Office, at: https://www.uni-exchange.eu.
  2. Approx. one month after we have received your application your application will be confirmed by e-mail.
  3. There are the following options for prospective students from abroad:
  4. Visas: Please, note that with a tourist visa you will not be permitted to undertake a course at the university.
  5. Health Care and Third Party Insurance: While studying at a German higher education institution, you need to be adequately insured with a recognized insurance company in Germany. It is recommended that you should apply for adequate health care and third party coverage immediately after your arrival in Berlin and before you start your studies.  Representatives of approved insurance companies (Techniker Krankenkasse [TK] and Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse [AOK]) will be available during the enrolment period to advise prospective students.  A health care insurance policy in Germany can be purchased at a monthly premium of € 78.50. 
    Since German diplomatic representations often ask for evidence of health care insurance coverage when prospective students apply for a visa, it would be wise to approach a German health care insurance company before.

    You should be aware that for your journey to Germany you should have adequate insurance coverage, as TK and AOK (or other German insurance companies) can insure you only from the point at which you enrol in Germany. Therefore, whilst attending an intensive language course in March or September could be covered by a travel insurance policy.
The following documentation must be submitted in addition to the online application:
  1. Nomination certificate for studies based on an exchange programme issued by the partner university, or by a scholarship provider
    * Fulbright-Scholars
  2. Learning Agreement (only for university partnerships - optional)
  3. German language certificate: If you did not take the C-Test, you can submit: German Language Certificate (Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung, Kleines or Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom, DSH, TestDaF)
  4. Statement concerning motivation / planned projects
  5. CV
  6. Two references of faculty members in either German or English
  7. Previous academic achievements in the original (transcript of records)


* Fulbright-Scholars: The complete documentation you submitted to the Fulbright Commission will be transferred directly to Humboldt by Fulbright Germany.


Your application should be sent by post to the respective Regional Officer


of the International Office of Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin at the following address:

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
International Office
Unter den Linden 6
10099 Berlin


Links and further Information:

If you have problems with the online application system, please contact the respective Regional Officer.