Information for refugee and prospective students

Important questions and answers for refugee students and prospective students

Can I get enrolled at Humboldt-Universität?

Ukrainian students (Ukrainian passport holders) who fled their country and who are looking for study opportunities at Humboldt might be enrolled at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin if they meet a number of well-defined, obligatory criteria.

HU Berlin offers for these Ukrainian refugee-students a special procedure of enrolment as exchange students for the upcoming winter semester (October 2022 – March 2023). As Exchange students they are entitled to earn ECTS points, but they are not allowed to obtain a final study program diploma.

Please write an email to this address with ALL required documents attached (PDF). We will consider FULL APPLICATIONS ONLY!

  1. Copy of National passport pages
  2. Copy of residence permit (German: “Aufenthaltstitel”) for the CITY OF BERLIN
  3. Proof of current enrolment at a Ukrainian university
  4. Proof of language proficiency (German language B1 or B2 level, or English language B2 level)

In case of missing a valid German or English language proof applicants are invited to pass the HU Berlin placement test offered by the HU Language centre and submit to us the result:

The application period for the Winter Term 2022-23 is open. The Deadline is 31. July 2022, Electronic submission will stop at 11.59 pm. We will get in touch in with you after the assessment of your documents.

Can I learn German at Humboldt-Universität? At which levels are courses offered and how can I register?

If you are enrolled at Humboldt-Universität, you can participate in classes offered by the university’s Language Centre. German courses for different levels are offered there.

How can I apply for a regular degree course at Humboldt-Universität?

An application is possible for the winter semester 2022/2023 if the necessary application requirements are met. The application for a study place at HU takes place via uni-assist. This PDF document provides detailed information on the application procedure for international applicants and a list of the required application documents.

Additional, comprehensive information can be found in our Guide for International Students.

Do I have access to the university with my foreign certificates?

Information on the assessment and formal recognition of foreign educational qualifications can be found in the database anabin. A self-check of the university entrance qualification is possible on the uni-assist self-check page.

The country-specific information may also be helpful. The decision on the recognition of foreign qualifications is made by uni-assist when processing the application.

What language certificates do I need to apply for graduate studies?

All undergraduate degree programmes (Bachelor, state exams) are German-language programmes, so a German certificate of level C1 is required for the application.

For the Master’s application, it depends on the respective programme’s requirements. Information on Master’s admission and language requirements can be found under “Special knowledge” in our programme catalogue.

Does the university offer accommodation for Ukrainian refugee students?

The university does not have its own accommodation facilities. Students can apply for places in the Studierendenwerk halls of residence. The HU only has a limited share available, so we cannot guarantee a dorm room to every interested student.

Individuals in need of accommodation find assistance at the Berlin Arrival center, Saatwinkler Damm in 13405 Berlin, open 24/7. All official information can be found on The platform arranges accommodation.

Are the study opportunities presented here also open to international students who are fleeing Ukraine but do not have Ukrainian citizenship?

Those affected can contact, the conditions for refugees from Ukraine who do not have Ukrainian citizenship are currently being clarified.

What is the HU scholarship programme and how can I participate?

If you are enrolled as an exchange student, you will automatically benefit from the HU scholarship programme which covers the university’s regular semester fee. Additional scholarships are currently being evaluated and students will be informed about scholarship opportunities.

I have Russian citizenship and am interested in studying at Humboldt-Universität. Can I apply?

Applications from Russian students for places at Humboldt-Universität Berlin are still accepted.