1.1 Extension of a Residence Permit

enlightened Please note that the earliest possible date for extension of a residence permit is four weeks before your current valid residence permit expires! 

The following documents are necessary:

  • Passport
  • 1 current biometric passport photos, further information
  • Current Registration Certificate (Meldebescheinigung) (copy)
  • Current certificate of enrolment (Studienbescheinigung) (original), (retrievable via AGNES under Certificates (Bescheinigungen) and is more detailed than the matriculation certificate)
    Programme exchange students must also submit their official "letter of confirmation" (confirmation of admission on the basis of an exchange programme not leading to a degree - Bestätigung zum Programmstudium ohne Abschluss), as this document shows how many semesters are planned for study at the university
  • A plan of studies (Studienprognose) from the Examination Office (Prüfungsamt) of your faculty, for studies of longer duration or if requested by the Berlin Immigration Office
  • Proof of sufficient financial resources, i.e. account statements of the previous 6 months, contract of employment, scholarship certificate (copy) or surety (original)
  • Proof of health insurance (copy)

Please help us by preparing your documents and filling out the application forms as well as possible - the Info Desk is happy to support you with this! Make sure to bring copies of the necessary documents, including copies of your bank statements and your registration document (Meldebescheinigung).

You will receive a certificate with a passport photo (Bescheinigung mit Passbild) from us that we have taken your passport and forwarded it for processing to the Berlin Immigration Office. *)

We take your passport and application documents to the Higher Education Service (Hochschulservice) of the Berlin Immigration Office, with whom we closely work together. After a processing time of approximately 3-4 weeks, you will receive your passport with your residence permit (as an adhesive label in your passport) from the Visa Service. (NB: At the beginning of the semester, the processing time can take longer.) The cost for the extension amounts to 49 euro. If you wish to apply for the job search residence permit, the application costs 54 euro. The transfer of your residence permit from an old passport to a new passport costs 12 euro.

We will collect the amount in cash when the application is submitted to us. Unfortunately, we cannot accept payment by card.

*) In the case of ticket inspections from the BVG, your Campus Card is valid if you have opted to have your picture printed on the Campus Card. If you have chosen to have your Campus Card printed without a photo ID, and you do not have any other suitable photo identification (Lichtbildausweis), such as a driving licence or ISIC, we will issue you this document with a passport photo upon request.


Guide for International Students

Guide for International Students