1.2 Residence permit to seek employment

After the successful completion of your studies you can apply, with our help, for a residence permit to seek employment in Germany according to section 16, para. 5. With this residence permit, you can gather work experience, complete internships or also work as a freelancer for 18 months after completion of your last examination. The goal is to find work that corresponds with your qualification (university degree).

The following documents are necessary:

  • Passport
  • 1 current biometric passport photos, further information
  • Current Registration Certificate (Meldebescheinigung) (copy)
  • Proof of sufficient financial resources, i.e. account statements of the previous 6 months, contract of employment, scholarship certificate (copy) or surety (original)
  • Proof of health insurance (copy)
  • Proof of completed work applications (at least three applications, in the form of confirmation of receipt, for example)
  • Certificate OR written document from your advisor that confirms the submission of your final thesis and that all further academic requirements are completed (important: the date of submission must be apparent)
  • Transcript of records from the examination office or from AGNES
  • If already available: certificate of exmatriculation (Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung)


Please note that you are required to change the purpose of your residence permit as soon as you finish your studies, even if the expiration date is far in the future.

Even if you submit an application for a residence permit to seek employment somewhat later, the 18 months start counting on the day of the completion of your studies, i.e., on the day of your last exam. 

The cost of the residence permit to seek employment amounts to 54 euro through the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung), and must be paid in cash to us upon application.

You can find further information on opportunities for international professionals in the portal Make it in Germany.



Guide for International Students

Guide for International Students