9.9 Household contents, personal liability and accident insurance

Having household contents insurance (Hausratversicherung) can be extremely helpful in case of theft, fire or water damage, which may occur in a student's apartment or flat. Students renting a room may sometimes be required to have a household contents insurance. For an additional charge, a bicycle can also be covered by this insurance.

Liability insurance (Haftpflichtversicherung) covers the holder if they cause an accident either from just walking or riding a bicycle, or if they accidentally damage someone else's property or belongings. If a person has taken out liability insurance in their home country, the policy will possibly provide coverage in Germany, too.

Personal liability of Humboldt students is not covered by the university. Students are encouraged to take out a comprehensive liability insurance to cover any liability risks which may arise from attending courses, taking part in study visits, excursions, internships or embarking on courses on non-university premises, also outside Germany.

Upon matriculation, you will receive student status starting on the first day of the current semester. Additionally, you are under legal protection through the university’s accident insurance (Unfallversicherung) when going directly to and from the university and when participating in study-related activities directly affiliated with the university. Because accident insurance for activities unaffiliated with the university is not provided through the university’s policy, you should consider taking out additional accident insurance. More information on university accident insurance can be found in the document Gesetzlicher Unfallversicherungsschutz an Hochschulen.