Application documents

Which application documents are required and what do they look like? Which templates can I use?

To apply for our exchange program, please submit your application online only.

1. CV

  • In German and English (or the language of the respective host country)
  • If you do not speak the language of your host country and will be taking classes in English at the partner institution, you may submit a CV in English


2. Letter of motivation

  • In German and English (or the language of the respective host country)
  • 2-3 pages
  • Should refer to only one partner university; in case of simultaneous applications for several partner universities please submit a letter of motivation (German and English) for each university
  • The following questions might be helpful when developing your motivational letter and study plan:
    • Why does a study abroad make sense for your current studies?
    • To what extent does this study abroad fit into the further course of your studies at HU; to what extent does it support the completion of your studies at HU (e.g. research work for your final thesis)?
    • What are your personal motives for studying abroad?


Please note: Language acquisition does not constitute sufficient justification for a study abroad, since applicants are expected to have good to very good language skills in advance. This will enable them to approach the subject-related studies abroad without major language problems.


3. Letter of recommendation (Template - GermanEnglish)

  • Please have instructors/professors e-mail the letter of recommendation directly to the International Department 


4. Transcript of Records 

  • Please contact your examination office for a stamped and signed transcript of records 


5. List of courses currently being attended, if applicable (Template - english)

  • Only required if you are in the 1st semester of your master's program and no courses have yet been completed


6. Study Plan (Template - english)

  • This is not a Learning Agreement, but simply a list of the courses you would like to take at the host university, based on the current course catalog.
  • If applying for several partner universities at the same time, please create a Study Plan for each university and upload it as one combined PDF file.


7. Proof of language proficiency

  • Different language certificates might be required, depending on the language and country/partner university. Please check the pages of the respective regional departments. An Abitur certificate is NOT accepted as language proficiency.
  • TOEFL for partner universities in Australia, Canada, Japan, Singapore and in the US
  • IELTS for Australian partner universities
  • DAAD language certificate from the HU Language Center for most other languages (also English); depending on country/partner university


8. Enrollment Certificate


9. University Certificate

  • In case you already completed studies at a university


10. Copy/Scan Passport