Eras­mus+ World­wide: Staff mo­bil­i­ty with HU

Staff mobility to Humboldt-Universität is possible from three partner institutions in Georgia. The picture shows Narikala, a fortress in the capital, Tbilisi. Photo: Daniela Beeck

With Erasmus+, you can take business trips to HU as a staff member of a partner institution. You can find information here on current partnerships and the mobility process.

Erasmus+ Partner Countries provides mobility grants for the exchange of academic and administrative staff of Humboldt-Universität and partner institutions in countries outside the EU. The programme strengthens international exchange and promotes stays abroad in teaching and further education. For your project to be funded by Erasmus+ Partner Countries, it must be limited in time and content.

Important information at a glance

In the Erasmus+ Partner Countries programme, universities agree on collaborative projects with thematic areas of focus in the academic field. Staff and student exchange in these areas of focus has priority. To expand the collaboration, the exchange can also take place in other academic fields. The support for the application of the researchers at HU responsible for the respective collaboration is a prerequisite. In the agreed areas, you can participate in an exchange in the following cases:

You are a professor or lecturer at a partner institution and wish to teach at HU

Your visit must comprise at least five days of professional duties and eight hours of teaching per week. For this purpose, you must provide proof of at least eight hours of teaching per week.

You wish to visit HU as a staff member of a partner institution for further education purposes

If you work in the field of the agreed academic collaboration and wish to coordinate with partners at HU to deepen the cooperation, your project (e.g. job shadowing, workshops or seminars) can be funded. The visit must last at least five days.

Erasmus+ Partner Countries supports staff mobility from the partner institutions to HU with a daily rate of income of at least 160 euros (112 euros from the 15th day).

Additionally, there is a travel expenses allowance, calculated on the basis of the distance between the home institution and the host institution, of between 275 and 1,735 euros. You can find further information from the DAAD on the travel expenses grant.

The financing of mobility within Erasmus+ Partner Countries is carried out by HU.

The following groups can receive additional funding in the Erasmus+ programme:

  • Persons with proven disabilities or chronic medical conditions
  • Participants who are travelling abroad with children

If you belong to one or more of these groups, you can apply for further support as part of the regular Erasmus+ application. For an individual consultation on this subject, please ask your contact persons in the International Department.

You can find an overview of offers for participants with increased funding needs on the Erasmus+ pages about social participation. For a more detailed description of the criteria and the relevant funding instruments, please see the pages of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).

As a leading international mobility and education programme, the Erasmus+ programme allows thousands of people per year to participate in intercultural exchange and personal development. Since it is a physical mobility programme, the topics of sustainability, climate change and environmental protection are of central importance.

The aim is to reduce the ecological footprint created by mobility through financial support for sustainable travel. You can apply for special grants, so-called green travel additional funding, for this. The Erasmus+ team of the International Department will support you in this.

Procedures from your application to after your return

Applications by academic and administrative staff of the partner institution for teaching or training visits to Humboldt-Universität are generally carried out via the researchers responsible for the collaboration. If they support the application, the Erasmus+ Partner Countries mobility is coordinated with the host institution of the applicant’s choice. HU makes the decision on the financing based on the application for Erasmus+ Partner Countries funding with its enclosures.

Please note: The financing of mobility within Erasmus+ Partner Countries is carried out by HU. Please contact the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team prior to your departure.

Prior to departure

You can apply for funding for staff mobility in Erasmus+, provided that the arrangements have already been made with Humboldt-Universität and your home institution. The decision on the application is made pursuant to the requirements of the academic working and collaborative relationships.

Please ask the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team about the exact application modalities. Once the eligibility of your project has been established, you will receive all the necessary documents and forms. Please then return the following documents for your application:

  • Completed “Application Form”
  • Proof of staff member status at the partner institution
  • Letter of support from the partner institution (by email is sufficient)
  • Completed “Mobility Agreement” form
  • Completed “Grant Agreement” form

In the event of eligibility, all the necessary forms will be sent directly by the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team.

Please note: The “Grant Agreement” and the “Mobility Agreement” must be completed and signed before you begin your visit. For this reason, please ensure that these have a corresponding date that lies before the beginning of your teaching visit! After your arrival in Berlin, please sign the Grant Agreement with the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team.

In addition to the documents you have submitted, you must prove that you have sufficient insurance cover. Your insurance must consist of the following components:

  • Health insurance
  • Accident insurance
  • Repatriation
  • Liability insurance

If you already have sufficient insurance cover for the period of the mobility, please fill in the “Insurance Declaration” form, which was sent to you automatically by the team, and return it together with a scan of your insurance policy. Please note that most travel medical insurance does not include liability insurance. If you have general German liability insurance, this is usually also valid abroad.

If you do not have sufficient insurance cover, group insurance can be taken out through HU (the price is currently 1.48 euros per day). For this purpose, please fill in the “Request for Insurance Support” form and return it.

At the beginning of your visit to Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

Immediately after your arrival, please contact the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team or arrange a personal appointment in advance to sign the Grant Agreement and to receive your grant. The grant will subsequently be paid.

At the end of the mobility

Before your departure, you must have the Certificate of Attendance signed by HU and submit it to the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team. After you have completed your mobility, you will be requested by the European Commission by email to fill in a brief, digital experience report in multiple-choice format. After the end of the mobility, you have 30 days to send this. The report is part of the agreement concluded with the “Grant Agreement” and thus a condition for the Erasmus+ Partner Countries funding.