How to fi­nance your stay abroad?

Trains are also an option in North America: with the MTrack from New York to Toronto. Photo: Lennart-Vincent Schmidt

A stay abroad opens up new perspectives – but how can students successfully finance it? Funding options vary depending on the project and the host country. Find out more about programmes, requirements, deadlines and application procedures here.

Financing via Erasmus+ and PROMOS

The scholarships for Erasmus+ and PROMOS are financed by European or national funding and awarded by Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.

Erasmus+ Europe

If you are planning to study or do an internship within Europe in one of the Erasmus+ Programme Countries, you can apply for Erasmus+ funding.

Find out more about the Erasmus+ Europe options at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.

Erasmus+ worldwide

Erasmus+ Partner Countries (worldwide) is primarily aimed at researchers and employees. However, there are some subject-specific funding opportunities for undergraduate and postgraduate students in the Balkan countries.

Find out more about the Erasmus+ worldwide options at Humboldt-Universität.

Financing via PROMOS

The PROMOS mobility programme supports stays abroad for all undergraduate and postgraduate students as well as for doctoral candidates as part of language courses. This includes the following stays:

Outside the Erasmus+ partner and programme countries

Inside and outside the Erasmus+ partner and programme countries

  • Final theses (bachelor/master)
  • Language courses
  • Group trips (of students and doctoral candidates under the scientific guidance of representatives of the teaching staff)

Country-specific scholarships for students

DAAD Office Beijing funding programmes

Annual scholarships, scholarships for the study East Asian languages, combined study and internship semesters, partial scholarships and other scholarship options for students of all subjects.

China Scholarship Programme

The Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes – German Academic Scholarship Foundation – one-year stay for undergraduate and postgraduate students in almost all subjects (except Sinology, Art, Design and Music).

China Scholarship Council (CSC Scholarship)

Support from the Chinese government. Students must be nominated by the International Office of the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.

HSK Winner Scholarship

One-year scholarship for students who have passed the HSK test with distinction.

Schwarzman Scholars

One-year scholarship for a master’s degree at Tsinghua University (Beijing) in the fields of public policy, international studies, economics, and business.

Global Korea Scholarship (GSK)

South Korean government scholarship for master’s and PhD graduates.


Japanese exchange programme in the field of foreign language teaching.

Ranke-Heinemann Academic Foundation

Scholarship programmes to support a stay abroad in Australia and New Zealand for students and doctoral candidates.

Fulbright Scholarship (USA)

Financing of tuition fees and living expenses, as well as travel allowances.

IES Abroad (USA)

Funding for a one-year study visit in the form of a teaching or language assistantship at a college or university in the USA

(link: Go East Scholarships

winter or summer schools in Eastern Europe.

Metropolises in Eastern Europe

Study visit in a country in East Central or Eastern Europe for students and doctoral candidates of all subjects for a period of 7 to 12 months (The Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes – German Academic Scholarship Foundation, The Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach Foundation).

Robert Bosch Foundation

Lectureship programme for Eastern Europe and China (lectureship for 12 months with the option to extend by an additional 12 months).

Scholarships at ENA (France)

16- or 8-month study programmes at the Ecole Nationale d'Administration for university graduates in all subjects.

Further scholarships for students

The DAAD annual scholarship enables students to either study abroad for a full academic year or to combine study with an internship semester. It usually covers tuition fees, living expenses and travel expenses and is based on academic performance, motivation and aptitude. Exact conditions vary depending on the programme and host country. Further information can be found on the DAAD website.

International BAföG (Auslands-BAföG) provides financial support for students who wish to complete part of their studies abroad. It covers the additional costs of tuition fees, living expenses and travel expenses while abroad. The funding depends on the individual needs and financial circumstances of the student as well as the destination country of the stay abroad. Further information and application forms are available from the BAföG Office. Auslands-BAföG and Erasmus can be combined, with the former offering additional financial support. Conditions can vary depending on the country and situation, so students should contact the BAföG Office or the Erasmus coordinators at Humboldt-Universität for more information.