Ein Sozialarbeiter spricht mit einem Flüchtling
The funding through the programme is very flexible. Several students have completed internships in refugee aid in other European countries. Photo: shironosov /

Students from HU and the Charité can receive Erasmus funding for internships abroad. You can find out here which allowances are available, the circumstances in which you can apply and what you should bear in mind.

If you are enrolled at HU or the Charité and have found an internship abroad, you can apply for funding through the Erasmus+ programme. You can find all the information on the requirements, the application process, the funding and various top-ups on this page. You can download all the documents required for this directly. In addition, you will find an overview of all the procedures and can read the answers to frequently asked questions about taking holiday, weekends and insurance cover.

Requirements for applicants

  • For your internship project to be eligible for funding, you must be enrolled as a student at HU or the Charité at the time of application.
  • The period of funding can then extend for up to one year after you have completed your studies.
  • It is important that your status does not change during the internship, i.e. that you remain enrolled or exmatriculated throughout your stay.
  • You also require a private address in Germany.
  • It is also crucial that you have knowledge of the working language. As a minimum, proof must be provided of level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
  • A language certificate is not required if the working language is your
  • native language.

Requirements for the internship

  • Your project can be funded if its content is related to your studies.
  • Only full-time internships are eligible for funding. Full time is considered to be 35 or more hours per week, or 12 hours per week in teacher training.

The internship must last at least two months and may not last more than 12 months (60 to 360 days); the EU calculator1 is decisive for this.

Please also bear in mind that internships can only be funded through Erasmus+ if they take place in one of the participating Programme countries.

Please note: You can be funded by Erasmus+ for a maximum of 12 months per study phase. This applies for semesters abroad and internships abroad together. The state examinations are an exception; the maximum funding period here is 24 months.

  1. The HU calculator is a DAAD tool that we use to calculate the length of the internship. The number of days from individual calculations is sometimes different from that of the EU calculator.  

The application for funding your internship abroad takes place in two steps, in both of which there are several documents to be submitted. Please send all the documents by email to the Erasmus+ team.

Step one:

  • Expression of interest
  • Current Enrolment Certificate
  • Proof of knowledge of the working language in the internship company (at least B2 level, no older than two years; does not apply if the working language is also the native language)

Your documents will be checked by the Erasmus+ Internship team before we give you the “green light” by email for the second step of your application.

Step two:

Please note: The application must be fully completed before you begin your internship. Ongoing or completed internships cannot be funded.

The Erasmus funding is calculated on a daily basis using allowances. Please therefore ensure that you enter the time period exactly, from the first to the last working day, on the Erasmus documents (extra weekends or holiday are not counted).

The funding allowances are based on groups of the Programme countries:

Country group 1 – 750 euros monthly

Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden

Country group 2 – 690 euros monthly

Belgium, France, Greece, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Spain, Cyprus

Country group 3 – 640 euros monthly

Bulgaria, Estonia, Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Republic of North Macedonia, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Turkey, Hungary

The Erasmus programme provides for the possibility of additional funding for some groups of persons, so-called social top-ups. Furthermore, an application can be made for special funding for environmentally friendly means of transport.

In addition to the regular Erasmus funding, 250 euros can be paid per month as social top-ups. The application is available to the groups of persons listed below, and only one top-up can be applied for per person. In general, green travel is available to all applicants. You can read more below about the individual types of additional funding possible.

Social top-up: Students with disabilities

You can apply for this top-up if you either have a degree of disability of 20 or higher, or if you expect additional expenses for your stay abroad because of a chronic medical condition.

Social top-up: Students with children

If you are taking your child abroad for the entire period of your internship, you can apply for this social top-up.

Social top-up: First-time academic

If your parents do not have an academic degree, you can apply for this social top-up.

Social top-up: Working students

If you were employed in the six months prior to your internship, at least, and are unable to continue this employment during your internship, you can apply for this social top-up.

Green travel

If both your outbound and inbound travel for your internship do not include a plane or car, you can apply for the special funding for green travel.

Please note: Use the relevant application documents (under "downloads") and ensure that you send your application by email to the Erasmus+ team before you begin your internship.

Before your Erasmus application

  • Acquiring a suitable internship and agreeing the internship period are your responsibility.
  • If the internship is compulsory, please clarify the recognition of the internship with your examination office and have the “Expression of interest” document signed (see “Application” section above).
  • Please also check independently whether the funding requirements are met (see “Requirements” section above).

Submitting your Erasmus application

The application must be fully completed before you begin your internship. (See “Application” section above.)

At the beginning of your internship

Have the “Arrival” document signed on your first working day and send it to us by email . Once that is done, we can transfer the first instalment of your Erasmus funding to you.

During your internship

If there are any changes during your internship, send us the “Changes” document by email up to 30 days prior to the original date for the end of your stay.

At the end of your internship

  • Have the "Departure" document signed on your last working day and send it to us by email.
  • Shortly after the end of your internship, you will also receive an email with the link to an online survey from the EU. If the “Departure” document has been submitted and the survey has been completed, we can transfer the second instalment of your Erasmus funding to you.

Can I take holiday during the internship? Does the funding continue on public holidays and weekends?

The Erasmus funding for internships abroad is calculated on a daily basis. Holiday and other days off cannot be funded through Erasmus+. If you take holiday in consultation with your internship company, notify the Erasmus internship team in advance by email of the dates between which you will interrupt your internship. We will subsequently recalculate the funding. Please ensure without fail that you do not fall short of the minimum funding period in total and thereby lose your entitlement to funding!

Am I insured abroad? What insurance must I take out?

There is no insurance cover connected with an Erasmus mobility grant. Neither the European Commission nor the DAAD National Agency nor Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin are liable for damage that occurs in connection with internships funded by Erasmus+.

The Erasmus programme is obligated to ensure sufficient insurance cover for the persons being funded. It is compulsory that you take out accident insurance and liability insurance (also professional liability insurance, for students of Medicine) as well as health insurance (incl. repatriation insurance) for internships. You should also take out life insurance and travel insurance.

For all participants in the Erasmus+ programme (also graduates), there is the possibility of being included in the DAAD group insurance, which provides comprehensive insurance cover.


Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions; we would be happy to hear from you. Please send us an email using the button.