Vis­it HU as a stu­dent with Eras­mus+ Part­ner Coun­tries

If you are enrolled in the Transatlantic Masters Program, you can study at up to three different locations in the USA and Europe, including at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The picture shows the South Building from 1814. Photo: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Erasmus+ Partner Countries provides grants for students and doctoral students from Partner universities. Here, you can find out more about forms of exchange, benefits and procedures.

Erasmus+ Partner Countries provides mobility grants for collaboration between Humboldt-Universität and partner institutions worldwide. Doctoral students as well as bachelor’s and master’s students benefit from this. Whether you are planning a stay abroad as part of an existing research project, or wish to visit HU for shorter research visits, whole semesters or an internship:

You can find basic details here on eligible formats, individual requirements and available financing, as well as advice on the planning of and procedure for visits to HU with the Erasmus+ Partner Countries programme.

Financing as part of Erasmus+ Partner Countries is currently possible for the following types of visits:

  • Study visits and research visits from the partner institutions to HU lasting at least 60 days and up to 360 days per study cycle (BA, MA, PhD)
  • Internships at Humboldt-Universität or with direct HU project partners by students from Partner Countries with a minimum duration of 60 days
  • Also possible for doctoral students from Partner Countries: short-term stays of at least five days at HU

To visit HU with Erasmus+, you must also meet the following requirements:

  • Enrolment at one of the partner institutions
  • Very good study credits
  • Good to very good language skills in German and/or English (at least level B2)
  • BA students: completion of the first academic year before the mobility begins
  • For funding as part of an existing collaborative project: thematic connection and approval by the supervising person

Please note: In the Erasmus+ Partner Countries programme, academic collaborative projects with thematic areas of focus are agreed – staff and student exchange in these areas of focus has priority. To expand the collaboration, the exchange can also take place in other areas, provided that the application is supported by researchers at HU.

Preference is given to students with disabilities or socially disadvantaged backgrounds in the case of equal academic suitability.

The Erasmus+ Partner Countries programme of HU allows students (BA, MA, PhD) of partner institutions for study visits and internships:

  • A monthly Erasmus+ grant to the amount of at least 850 euros to compensate for additional expenses that arise through the stay abroad
  • Travel expenses support to the amount of 275 to 1,735 euros as a lump sum payment, calculated on the basis of the distance between the home institution and HU (see information sheet for further information)
  • Exemption from tuition fees
  • Support in preparing for the stay abroad
  • Certificate for the study credits gained abroad
  • Please note: The financing of mobility for both study visits and internship visits is carried out by HU.

If you are interested in mobility for study purposes at HU, please contact the International Office of your home institution to inform yourself about the application process.

If your application at your home institution is successful, you will be nominated at HU. If the decision is made at HU to award you a grant, HU’s Erasmus+ Partner Countries team will send you the relevant Erasmus+ documents and a link to our application portal Move On.

Prior to arrival

All the documents relevant to Erasmus+ must be received by the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team prior to your arrival. Please take particular note:

  • In the three-part Learning Agreement, the study credits before, during and after the mobility are coordinated. Please discuss the study programme with the academic coordinators of your home institution and HU. For a semester abroad, your planned study programme should comprise 30 ECTS.
  • For internships, please use the Traineeship Agreement, which defines the details of your internship (for example, the content and working hours).

After your arrival

One of the first steps after your arrival at HU is enrolment. At this point, you will already have received a letter of confirmation with your personal enrolment date from the HU Incoming Team. You can find information on the range of courses in AGNES, the teaching and examination portal of HU.

Erasmus+ semester schedule

At the beginning of the semester, a meeting will be arranged with the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team. At this meeting, the Grant Agreement and the Certificate of Attendance will be signed and the further procedure during the semester will be explained.

Within the first three weeks after the beginning of the semester, an updated version of the Learning Agreement with any changes that have been made must be received by the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team, signed by all parties.

At the end of the mobility

At the end of the semester and before your departure, a final version of the Learning Agreement, supplemented and signed by the HU faculty, must be submitted to the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team, and the Certificate of Departure must be signed. In addition, you will receive a request by email to complete a compulsory online report.


The recognition of study credits gained during the mobility takes place in consultation between you and your home institution.

The Erasmus+ programme attaches particular importance to inclusion and sustainability.

The following groups can apply for additional financial support to the amount of €250 per month:

  • Persons with chronic medical conditions or disabilities
  • Participants who are travelling abroad with one or more children
  • First-time academics
  • Working students
  • Sustainable travel qualifies for green travel additional funding. You can find details on the amount of the funding on the information sheet.

The application for this is made as part of your regular application for Erasmus+ funding. For this purpose, and for further consultation, please contact the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team. You can also find further information on the social participation and sustainability page.

For further information, please see our information sheet on stays abroad with Erasmus+ Partner Countries.