Aca­d­e­mics & staff

In the national park in the steppe of Khom (Mongolia), Przewalski’s horses, previously extinct in the wild, have been successfully reintroduced into the wild since 2001. Mongolian researchers care for the horses, which now number 138. Photo: Ganchimeg Altangerel

With Erasmus+, you can go on business trips to Partner Countries as university staff members. You can find out here which projects are funded and how the application for the programme works.

Erasmus+ Partner Countries provides mobility grants for academic and administrative staff of Humboldt-Universität for collaborations with partner institutions outside the EU. The programme strengthens international exchange and promotes stays abroad in teaching and further education. For your project to be funded by Erasmus+ Partner Countries, it must be limited in time and content.

Important information at a glance

In the Erasmus+ Partner Countries programme, universities agree on collaborative projects with thematic areas of focus in the academic field. Staff and student exchange in these areas of focus has priority. To expand the collaboration, the exchange can also take place in other academic fields. The support for the application of the researchers at HU responsible for the respective collaboration is a prerequisite. If you work at Humboldt-Universität, you can participate in the exchange in the agreed fields in the following cases:

You are a researcher and wish to teach abroad

For your visit to a partner institution to be funded, make an agreement with the host university on your teaching duties there. Your visit must comprise at least five days of professional duties. For this purpose, you must provide proof of at least eight hours of teaching per week. Additional days increase the compulsory teaching hours proportionally (approximately 1.5 hours per additional day). The available funding also applies to visiting researchers and emeriti.

You wish to visit a partner institution as a HU staff member for further education purposes

If you work in the field of the agreed academic collaboration and wish to coordinate with the partners to deepen the cooperation, your project (e.g. job shadowing, workshops or seminars) can be funded. The visit must comprise at least five days of professional duties.

Research visits without reference to a project and teaching are not eligible.

Erasmus+ Partner Countries supports the mobility of HU staff members at partner institutions with a daily rate of income of 180 euros (126 euros from the 15th day).

Additionally, there is a travel expenses allowance, calculated on the basis of the distance between the home institution and the host institution, of between 275 and 1,735 euros. Here, you can find further information on the travel expenses grant.

The financing of mobility within Erasmus+ Partner Countries is carried out by Humboldt-Universität.

The following groups can receive additional funding in the Erasmus+ programme:

  • Persons with a degree of disability of at least 20 percent
  • Persons with chronic medical conditions
  • Participants who are travelling abroad with children

If you belong to one or more of these groups, you can apply for further support as part of the regular Erasmus+ application. For an individual consultation on this subject, please ask your contact persons in the International Department.

You can find an overview of offers for participants with increased funding needs on the pages about social participation.

As one of the leading international mobility and education programmes, the Erasmus+ programme allows thousands of people per year to participate in intercultural exchange and personal development. Since it is a physical mobility programme, the topics of sustainability, climate change and environmental protection are of central importance.

The aim is to reduce the ecological footprint created by mobility through financial support for sustainable travel. You can apply for special grants, so-called green travel additional funding, for this. The Erasmus+ team of the International Department will support you in this.

From your application to after your return

Applications by academic and administrative staff of Humboldt-Universität for teaching or training visits to one of the partner institutions are generally carried out via the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team. If the researchers managing the project support your application, the Erasmus+ Partner Countries mobility will be coordinated with the host institution you have chosen. HU makes the decision on the financing based on the application for Erasmus+ Partner Countries funding with its enclosures.

Prior to departure

You can apply for funding for staff mobility in Erasmus+ Partner Countries, provided that the arrangements have already been made with the HU coordinator and the partner institution. The selection of applicants is usually based on the academic interests in the collaborative project. The selection takes place based on the requirements of the academic working and collaborative relationships.

Please ask the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team about the exact application modalities. Once the eligibility of your project has been established, you will receive all the necessary documents and forms from the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team. Please then return the following documents for your application:

  • Application form
  • Proof of staff member status at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
  • Programme-specific Travel Authorisation Request (signed by your superior at HU)
  • Completed “Mobility Agreement” form to coordinate the content-related plan as part of the project
  • Completed “Grant Agreement” form

Please note: The “Grant Agreement” and the “Mobility Agreement” must be completed and signed before you begin your visit. For this reason, please ensure that these have a corresponding date that lies before the beginning of your teaching visit!

The signed “Grant Agreement” is the basis for the financing of your mobility. When the Grant Agreement has been concluded, the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team makes an appointment with you to sign it.

Visit to the partner institution

As confirmation of your stay, please have the Certificate of Attendance signed and stamped by the partner institution. The document serves as proof of your attendance at the partner institution. Like all the other forms, you will receive it in advance from the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team.

After your return

After you have completed your mobility, you will be asked for a brief report by the European Commission by email. After the mobility has ended, you have 30 days to send this report. Like the “Certificate of Attendance”, the report is part of the agreement concluded with the “Grant Agreement” and thus a condition for the Erasmus+ Partner Countries funding.

Application for new partnerships

New collaborations can be introduced in annual project applications by the department. The project applications are coordinated and summarised by the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team. If you are interested, please do not hesitate to contact the programme coordinator Mr Johann Comolle.