Vis­it Part­ner Coun­tries as a stu­dent with Eras­mus+

Erasmus+ Partner Countries offers grants for partner institutions outside the EU. In addition to the main target group of doctoral students, bachelor’s and master’s students can also be funded in various formats.

Erasmus+ Europa

Erasmus+ Partner Countries provides mobility grants for collaborations with partner institutions worldwide. This primarily benefits doctoral students who plan stays abroad as part of existing research projects. In certain regions, bachelor’s and master’s students who wish to travel to eligible Partner Countries for whole semesters or for internships can also, however, be funded.

You can find information on the respective Partner Country in the overview. You can find basic details below on eligible formats, individual requirements and available financing, as well as advice on the planning of and procedure for stays abroad with the Erasmus+ Partner Countries programme.

Financing as part of Erasmus+ Partner Countries is currently possible for the following types of stays abroad:

  • Study visits and research visits from HU to the partner institutions lasting at least 60 days and up to 360 days per study cycle (BA, MA, PhD)
  • Internships in Partner Countries with a minimum duration of 60 days
  • Also possible for doctoral students: short-term stays of at least five days at a partner institution

To go abroad with Erasmus+ Partner Countries, you must also meet the following requirements:

  • Enrolment at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
  • Very good study credits
  • Good to very good language skills in the language of the host country or in English (at least level B2)
  • BA students: completion of the first academic year before the mobility begins
  • For funding as part of an existing collaborative project: thematic connection and approval by the supervising person

Please note: In the Erasmus+ Partner Countries programme, academic collaborative projects with thematic areas of focus are agreed – staff and student exchange in these areas of focus has priority. To expand the collaboration, the exchange can also take place in other areas, provided that the application is supported by researchers at HU.

Preference is given to students with disabilities or socially disadvantaged backgrounds in the case of equal academic suitability.

The Erasmus+ Partner Countries programme allows students (BA, MA, PhD) of Humboldt-Universität for study visits and internships:

  • A monthly Erasmus+ grant to the amount of at least 700 euros to compensate for additional expenses that arise through the stay abroad
  • Travel expenses support to the amount of 275 to 1,735 euros as a lump sum payment, calculated on the basis of the distance between the home institution and the host institution (see information sheet for further information)
  • Exemption from tuition fees
  • Support in preparing for the stay abroad
  • Academic recognition of study credits from abroad

If you are interested in mobility at one of the partner institutions of HU, please first contact the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team. After consultation with your HU faculty, you will receive the programme-related forms from us.

After you have applied successfully, you will be nominated for the mobility by the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team to the partner institution.

Once you have been nominated and accepted for the study place of your choice at the partner institution, please accept this again, formally. The partner institution will inform you about the university’s internal application formalities.

All the documents relevant to Erasmus+ must be received by the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team prior to your departure. Please take particular note:

  • In the three-part Learning Agreement, the study credits before, during and after the mobility are coordinated. Please discuss the study programme at the partner university with the academic coordinators at HU and at the partner institution. For a semester abroad, your planned study programme should comprise 30 ECTS.
  • For internships, please use the Traineeship Agreement, which defines the details of your internship (for example, the content and working hours).
  • The Grant Agreement must be signed in the original before you begin the mobility.

You will receive more detailed information from the partner institution about enrolment there.

Payment of the first grant instalment is arranged upon receipt of the signed Certificate of Arrival. The Learning Agreement, adapted if necessary, must be received by the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team by no later than three weeks after your studies begin.

To receive the final grant instalment, you must submit the Confirmation of Departure, signed at the host institution, and the Learning Agreement, completed and signed by the host institution, to the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team. In addition, you will receive a request by email to complete a compulsory online report.

Incomplete, missing documents or those which have not been submitted on time lead to a delay in payment of the grant.

After your return to HU, contact your examination office for the recognition of study credits gained abroad (ECTS). In the case of non-recognition of study credits gained abroad, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, i.e. your examination board, bears the burden of proof. The learning outcomes to be proven by a certificate in the form of a transcript of records are decisive for the academic recognition, rather than the duration of the courses completed during the visit.

The Erasmus+ programme attaches particular importance to inclusion and sustainability. The following groups can apply for additional financial support to the amount of €250 per month:

  • Persons with chronic medical conditions or a degree of disability of at least 20 percent
  • Participants who are travelling abroad with one or more children
  • First-time academics
  • Working students
  • Sustainable travel qualifies for green travel additional funding. You can find details on the amount of the funding on the information sheet.

The application for this is made as part of your regular application for Erasmus+ funding. For this purpose, and for further consultation, please contact the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team. You can also find further information on the social participation and sustainability page.

For further information, please see our information sheet on stays abroad with Erasmus+ Partner Countries.