Information for refugee students looking to study at HU Berlin

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin provides at-risk and refugee students with academic counselling as well as guidance when it comes to applying to the university and career planning.

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin provides at-risk and refugee students with academic counselling as well as guidance when it comes to applying to the university and career planning.

If you are interested in finding out what conditions you must fulfil and which documents to supply to apply to HU, please contact us here; tell us your country of origin, where you’ve acquired your diplomas, how long you have studied and which degrees you may have acquired already. We also need to know your previous and desired field of studies.

If you are interested in engineering or technical studies, please contact a Technical University in Germany, e.g. Technische Universität Berlin. If you are interested in medical studies or research (including dentistry), please get in touch with the Hotline at Charité.

HU offers INTEGRA language courses and workshops as well as career advice within the framework of the DAAD sponsored INTEGRA project (see details below). Counselling may be asked for using this e-mail adress. Another DAAD sponsored project, WELCOME, provides financial support for HU student and staff initiatives to support the integration of refugees (details below).

For general information on studying and working in Germany visit Handbook Germany (available in several languages) and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) has pages on studying and getting a PhD in German.

Both Flüchtlingsrat Berlin e.V. and Migrationsrat e.V. offer support and advice from refugees for refugees.

We regret that we cannot comment on your legal status in Germany. Information on this issue may be found on the official website. The Refugee Law Clinic, an initiative run by students for refugee students and migrants provides independent, free and multilingual advice for displaced students.

German language classes: free-of-charge German language classes at all levels are offered by the Volkshochschule Berlin. HU can only accept registered students into language classes. Information on those can be found with the HU language center.


INTEGRA is a DAAD sponsored project which supports language and career integration of refugees in Germany. It conducts preparatory language and integration classes as well as workshops and provides counselling. Get in touch via e-mail to arrange for a meeting.

Courses arranged for April through September 2022 (25 teaching units each, Monday through Friday 9 am – 1 pm) are already full. They are taught as combinations of language instruction and an introduction to student life; they also introduce students to the application process via Uni-assist and touch on student financing, time management and strengthening individual compentences.

In order to participate you need

  • Knowledge of German (from B2 on). A placement test is conducted with applicants to the program
  • Student status at a university or university of applied sciences
  • Status as a refugee in Germany
  • Stable internet connection, since workshops are conducted online on occasion


Guest Student Status

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin invites you to apply for guest student status. You will need to complete the following document (German, English, French) and drop it off at the Infopoint at the Studierenden-Service-Center/Student Service Center. You will find additional information on this page.

Please be aware that recognizing the classes you take is up to the receiving institution and not an automatic process.


Further Information about Programmes offered by HU can be found here.