Information for refugee and prospective students

Important questions and answers for refugee students and prospective students

How can I apply for a regular degree course at Humboldt-Universität?

An application is possible for the winter semester 2022/2023 if the necessary application requirements are met. The application for a study place at HU takes place via uni-assist. This PDF document provides detailed information on the application procedure for international applicants and a list of the required application documents.

Additional, comprehensive information can be found in our Guide for International Students.

Do I have access to the university with my foreign certificates?

Information on the assessment and formal recognition of foreign educational qualifications can be found in the database anabin. A self-check of the university entrance qualification is possible on the uni-assist self-check page.

The country-specific information may also be helpful. The decision on the recognition of foreign qualifications is made by uni-assist when processing the application.

What language certificates do I need to apply for graduate studies?

All undergraduate degree programmes (Bachelor, state exams) are German-language programmes, so a German certificate of level C1 is required for the application.

For the Master’s application, it depends on the respective programme’s requirements. Information on Master’s admission and language requirements can be found under “Special knowledge” in our programme catalogue.

Can I learn German at Humboldt-Universität? At which levels are courses offered and how can I register?
If you are enrolled at Humboldt-Universität, you can participate in classes offered by the university’s Language Centre. German courses for different levels are offered there.

Are the study opportunities presented here also open to international students who are fleeing Ukraine but do not have Ukrainian citizenship?

Refugee students from Ukraine who do not have Ukrainian citizenship may obtain a six-month residence permit. Those affected can contact

I have Russian citizenship and am interested in studying at Humboldt-Universität. Can I apply?

Applications from Russian students for places at Humboldt-Universität Berlin are still accepted.


What is the HU scholarship programme and how can I participate?

If you are enrolled as an exchange student, you will automatically benefit from the HU scholarship programme which covers the university’s regular semester fee. Additional scholarships are currently being evaluated and students will be informed about scholarship opportunities.

Does the university offer accommodation for Ukrainian refugee students?

The university does not have its own accommodation facilities. Students can apply for places in the Studierendenwerk halls of residence. The HU only has a limited share available, so we cannot guarantee a dorm room to every interested student.

Individuals in need of accommodation find assistance at the Berlin Arrival center, Saatwinkler Damm in 13405 Berlin, open 24/7. All official information can be found on The platform arranges accommodation.