3.3.1 Educational qualifications for entrance

For students on exchange programmes, different regulations apply (► 3.7).

University admission criteria and recognition of certificates
Admission to courses at a German higher education institution is based on a university entrance qualification (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung, HZB), such as the German Abitur certificate. Holders of other certificates need to present proof of their appropriate qualification, e.g. a school leaving certificate plus, if applicable, evidence of previous university studies in their home country. For specific regulations relating to various countries, the Initial Counselling Services for international applicants can be consulted (3.1).

You can find information on this topic online through the "information system on the recognition of international high school certificates" (Informationssystem zur Anerkennung ausländischer Bildungsabschlüsse, anabin).

For educational qualifications to be checked or recognised before an application is made, documents can be submitted to the address below. A certificate (fee required) regarding your educational qualifications will be issued to you. 

Senate Department for Education, Youth and Families
Office for the Recognition of Educational Qualifications

Bernhard-Weiß-Str. 6
10178 Berlin
E-Mail: zastbe@senbjf.berlin.de
Web: www.berlin.de/sen/bjf/anerkennung/schulische-abschluesse
Phone: (+49 30) 90227-52 20, -52 32, -69 87

Telephone office hours:
Mo, Th 14.00 – 15.00
We 10.00 – 12.00


Office hours:                
Mo, Tu 9.00 – 12.00
Th 16.00 – 18.00

Pre-university courses and aptitude tests
If you do not have a direct HZB, but rather admission to a pre-university/access course (Studienkolleg), you can apply for the one-year pre-university course via uni-assist to Humboldt-Universität (► 3.4). The assessment of your educational qualifications is available through the databank anabin, under "Schulabschlüsse mit Hochschulzugang".

Humboldt-Universität offers access courses (Studienkolleg) in cooperation with Freie Universität, which include T, M, W and G courses (see below).

The pre-university courses are designed to qualify students for an aptitude test (Feststellungsprüfung) where they are expected to prove that they are appropriately qualified for admission to a German university. The test includes the German language test for university admission (DSH).

Those who pass the aptitude test will be given the HZB certificate for a particular subject area.

  Courses Required subjects
T-courses prepare applicants for technical, mathematical and natural science courses German, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry (including applied studies), Computer Science
M-courses prepare applicants for medicine, biology and related courses                     German, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics
W-courses       prepare applicants for economics courses German, Mathematics, Macroeconomics, History of Economics, English
G-courses prepare applicants for courses in the humanities and in languages German, History, Social Studies, German Literature, English