3.7 Application formalities for exchange students

Programme exchange students (Programmstudierende) at Humboldt-Universität are defined as:

  • students studying on the basis of university exchange agreements
  • students studying on the basis of EU exchange programmes (ERASMUS+) or
  • holders of scholarships awarded by DAAD, KAAD, Fulbright and other sources.

In most cases students spend one or two semesters at Humboldt-Universität without aspiring to obtain a Humboldt degree. Programme exchange students have been nominated by their home university or some funding body to study at Humboldt on the basis of university exchange agreements or scholarships. They will be guaranteed a place of study.

However, there are some formalities to be dealt with. You must apply for a place of study on the basis of an exchange programme. All relevant information and the application documents to be completed can be found online.

The International Office carries responsibility for all international students studying on the basis of exchange programmes.

International Office | Internationales Büro

Unter den Linden 6
First mezzanine floor above SSC
10117 Berlin

Contact persons for applications to be submitted within different schemes:

ERASMUS+ programme countries (Europe)
Ms. Kusche, room 2263
Phone: (+49 30) 20 93-46 720
Fax: (+49 30) 20 93-46 716
E-Mail: erasmus@hu-berlin.de

ERASMUS+ partner countries (non-European countries)
Mr. Parske, Ms. Kozikowska, room 2256 | 2258
Phone: (+49 30) 20 93-46 715 | -46 721
E-Mail: erasmus.international@hu-berlin.de
E-Mail: erasmusmundus@hu-berlin.de

University exchange agreements, other scholarship schemes
Ms. Mücke, room 2263
Phone: (+49 30) 20 93-46 709
E-Mail: exchange-students@hu-berlin.de

DAAD scholarship holders
Ms. Schneider, room 2261
Phone: (+49 30) 20 93-46 719
E-Mail: daad@hu-berlin.de

Students of the Medicine programme are required to contact Ms. Cernitori of the Charité International Cooperation (ChIC) (7.2.1).

Programme exchange students are required to apply online for a place in a HU study course:

01.04. - 31.05.      for the Winter Semester
01.10. - 30.11.      for the Summer Semester

Please be aware that the deadlines for the medicine programme vary.

If accommodation in a university hall of residence is desired, an application for a Wohnheimplatz in einem Studentenwohnheim must be made at the same time as the application for a place of study (► 4.4.2).

In addition, prospective students may apply for a place on a pre-university intensive German language course, which takes place the month before the semester begins (i.e. in March or September) (► 6.9.1).

Documents to be submitted:

  • Nomination by the partner university or the grant sponsor for the exchange programme
  • Learning Agreement
  • German language certificate, i.e. results of the C-Test; if the C-Test was not taken, certificate of a standardised German language test, i.e. Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung, Kleines and Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom, DSH, TestDaF
  • Certificate of the Bachelor's degree if the application is for a Master course

Please note that applicants can only take courses currently offered at Humboldt and which they study at their home university. Our course catalogue can be found by online through AGNES. For more information please contact the ERASMUS-Coordinators or the International Offices of the faculties (7.2.1).

Furthermore, a Learning Agreement signed by the programme co-ordinators of the home university and the receiving Humboldt department/institute is required. This ensures that Humboldt will be able to recognise previous study achievements and guarantee a place in the chosen course.

In response to their application, applicants will receive a Confirmation to exchange programme studies not leading to a degree (Bestätigung zum Programmstudium ohne Abschluss) by e-mail.

In some cases, there are different regulations for DAAD scholarship holders.