4.1 Visa formalities necessary for studies in Germany

German embassies and consular representations will provide information on current entry and residence requirements for Germany.

Applicants for university studies from the following countries do not require a visa to enter Germany:

  • European Union
  • EEA states: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway
  • Switzerland

as well as:

  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • El Salvador
  • Honduras
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • San Marino
  • South Korea
  • USA

Applicants from all other countries need a visa for studies in the Federal Republic of Germany. A tourist visa does not entitle the holder to register as a student. Information on current entry regulations and the application forms are available from the Auswärtiges Amt.