4.1.2 Confirmation of application/applicant's visa

If a complete application has been submitted to the uni-assist certification office on time, the applicant will be notified that his/her application has been received. The receipt of the application (Bewerberbestätigung) will be sufficient to apply for a visa (Bewerbervisum) at a German embassy or consular representation. Later, the applicant’s visa can be converted into a student residence permit in Berlin.

Travelling to Germany
Arrival in Berlin should be reasonably early, i.e. at least 2 or 3 weeks before the semester begins, in order to allow for sufficient time to look for a place to live, deal with the registration formalities and to prepare for studies. Information sessions in faculties, departments and institutes are usually held before lectures start. Humboldt International Office runs specific orientation sessions for international students. Humboldt students organise tours of the various campus areas and semester breakfasts for newcomers. All these events are announced on the website.

On arrival in Berlin an application for a residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) must be made. (► 5.1.3).

Applicants already staying in Germany as au pairs or on pre-university German language courses, must have their residence permit converted into a residence permit for university studies within one year. Reapplication for a visa is not necessary.