5.1.2 Health insurance coverage

All students are required to provide proof of health insurance coverage when matriculating (► 4.3).

Every student on a course up to the 14th semester or up to the age of 30 is entitled to obtain health insurance coverage from one of the recognised statutory health insurance providers in Germany at a special student rate. The current premium for health and long term care insurance is around € 105 per month. Health insurance premiums rise moderately at regular intervals and vary between the different insurance providers.

If a student has private health insurance coverage, a German statutory insurance company may grant exemption from compulsory insurance coverage in Germany.

Humboldt-Universität cooperates with recognised statutory health insurance providers, i.e. AOK, BARMER, DAK and Die Techniker, which maintain special points of contact for students and are present during matriculation.

AOK Nordost - die Gesundheitskasse
Christopher Manicke – adviser to students
Hegelplatz 1
10117 Berlin

Phone: 0800 265080-24632 (free of charge in Germany)
E-Mail: christopher.manicke@nordost.aok.de
Web: www.aok-on.de/nordost

Melanie Griebsch - adviser to students
Axel-Springer-Str. 44-50
10969 Berlin

Phone: (+49 30) 634 991 381
Phone: (0800) 333004 101 381 (free of charge in Germany)
E-Mail: melanie.griebsch@barmer.de
Web: www.barmer.de

DAK Gesundheit Berlin
Jessica Meschkat - adviser to students
Brückenstr. 5a
10179 Berlin

Phone: (+49 30) 99 28 90 72 130
Mobile: (+49 172) 82 55 301
E-Mail: jessica.meschkat@dak.de
Web: www.dak.de

Die Techniker
Lutz Matuschke - adviser to students
Phone: (+49 40) 460 65 103 707

E-Mail: lutz.matuschke@tk.de
Web: www.tk.de

Further information on health care insurance for international students is available in multiple languages from the Krankenkassen-Zentrale (KKZ) and from Deutsche Insurance.

Whenever a doctor is consulted, the chip card of the insurance company or the European Health Insurance Card - EHIC ( 4.3) must be presented. If a doctor prescribes medication, 10 per cent of the cost has to be paid by the patient. Every insured person is expected to pay a certain amount towards medication and similar services (such as additional payment for hospital care), up to 2 per cent of the gross annual income. If over 2 per cent of the gross annual income has been paid, the patient may apply to the health insurance company for an exemption from further costs. For further information, the individual's health insurance company should be contacted.

Free choice of medical care is guaranteed for insured students. Names and addresses of physicians and medical specialists are available from classified telephone directories (sorted according to specialty) and online, e.g. in the Database of Berlin Physicians.