6.5 A period of study outside Germany

Spending some time at a university abroad is highly valuable, not only because of the academic benefit, but also because students can widen their range of experiences and become acquainted with different university systems. In addition to a variety of international cooperation arrangements between individual members of academic staff and between departments and institutes, Humboldt-Universität has more than 190 academic cooperation agreements and exchange contracts with over 300 partner universities in the framework of the European ERASMUS programmes.

Those interested can take advantage of the service of WO|ANDERS Studieren:

WO|ANDERS Studieren - Dein Auslandssemester

Student Service Center (SSC)
Unter den Linden 6, ground floor
10117 Berlin

Phone: (+49 30) 20 93-24 91
Fax: (+49 30) 20 93-21 15

See online timetable


Campus Adlershof:
Rudower Chaussee 25, house 2, room 2'227
Office hours
We 10.00 - 12.00
13.00 - 16.00


Students should be aware that visa problems may arise if they go on a visit abroad. Residence permits for Germany cease to be valid if holders leave Germany for more than 6 months for study purposes, field research, an internship or similar reasons. A visit to the Foreigners' Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) before departure therefore is highly recommended.

University partnerships
Humboldt-Universität maintains numerous bilateral agreements with partner universities in Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, the United States of America and South America.

All students enrolled in degree courses at Humboldt-Universität may choose to study at a partner university abroad for one or two semesters. Before students set out to study abroad, they must have completed at least two semesters of study. Proof of the necessary language skills must also be provided.

As part of university partnership agreements, students are entitled to receive financial support towards travel expenses. They are exempt from paying fees at the partner university.

Currently, Humboldt faculties cooperate with partners in 32 EU countries and in Switzerland, offering more than 1,000 places on courses abroad. Application procedures are almost entirely in the hands of the ERASMUS Coordinators at departmental level (7.2.1).

Applications for ERASMUS scholarships can be made by all students from Humboldt-Universität. Completion of studies over at least two semesters and proof of the necessary language skills are essential requirements.

The deadlines for applications and information on the application procedure as well as the allocation of remaining places, etc. can be obtained from the ERASMUS coordinators in faculties, departments and institutes (7.2.1).