8.1.1 Student jobs

Paid employment for students is subject to strict regulations because it must not prolong the period of study. Whether and how long international students are permitted to be employed in Germany depends on the type of residence permit the individual student holds.

a) Students from EU countries, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland, on equal footing with German students, are allowed to take up student part-time or temporary jobs with no further restrictions (unselbstständige Tätigkeit). Additionally, they are permitted to work in a freelance capacity (selbstständige Tätigkeit), which is transacted on the basis of service contracts (Honorarverträge/Werkverträge). However, as studying must remain priority, working hours must not exceed the maximum of 80 hours per month.

b) All other international students (Drittstaatler) are required to observe certain restrictions. They may work for a maximum of 120 'full' days (8 hours per day), or 240 'half' days (4 hours per day) in one year. Part-time employment of this kind (unselbständige Tätigkeit) does not require a work permit.

Internships for which payment is received are deemed to be student-type jobs and will be part of the 120 full or 240 half day total.

Student assistants (studentische Hilfskräfte) at university are considered to be of special status. Since what they do in their jobs is closely linked to academic work, the time restrictions mentioned above do not apply. Contracts allowing for paid work up to 80 hours per month can be concluded.

Generally, freelance work is not allowed for international students from non-member countries (Drittstaatler). In certain special cases, however, permission to work in a freelance capacity can be applied for at the Berlin Immigration Office.

All students are required to have a tax identification number (Steueridentifikationsnummer) for student part-time jobs. As soon as you have registered at your Local Registration Office (Bürgeramt), you should automatically receive your tax identification number by mail. You must present your tax identification number to your employer. If you haven't received your tax identification number, the Local Tax Office (Finanzamt) can request your tax identification number from the Federal Central Tax Office (Bundeszentralamt für Steuern, BZSt).

Additionally, you also need the certificate of wage tax deduction (Bescheinigung über den Lohnsteuerabzug), obtainable from your Local Tax Office (Finanzamt).