9.9 Household contents and personal liability insurance

Having a household contents insurance (Hausratversicherung) can be extremely helpful in case of theft, fire or water damage, which may occur in a student's apartment or flat. Students renting a room may sometimes be required to have a household contents insurance. Incidentally, a bicycle would also be covered by this insurance.

A liability insurance (Haftpflichtversicherung) covers the holder if he/she causes an accident either from just walking or riding a bicycle, or if he/she accidentally damages someone else's property or belongings. If a person has taken out a liability insurance in their home country, the policy will possibly provide coverage in Germany, too.

Further information may be obtained from:

Federal Office for Financial Services Control
Section for Insurance Services Control

Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht
Sektor Versicherungsaufsicht
Graurheindorfer Straße 108
53117 Bonn

Phone: (+49 228) 299 70 299
E-Mail: poststelle@bafin.de

Personal liability of Humboldt students is not covered by the university. Students are encouraged to take out a comprehensive liability insurance to cover any liability risks which may arise from attending courses, taking part in study visits or excursions, internships or embarking on courses in non-university premises, also outside Germany.