Stay Abroad

Before your departure

After your arrival

At the end of your study mobility


Before your departure

Accepting the place offer

Given that you have confirmed the place offer, and the partner institution has accepted your nomination from HU, you need to fill in the first draft of your Learning Agreement after consulting with the partner institution. Please take into account the directions provided by the European Commission.

Grant Agreement

Fill in the first page of the Grant Agreement. This Document as well as the Learning Agreement/ Traineeship Agreement have to be signed by you and the Erasmus+ Partner Countries coordinator of Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin BEFORE the beginning of the mobility. Please make an appointment with the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team to sign the documents in person.

Before your appointment, please send the Grant Agreement and the Learning Agreement to the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team for a review:

The Grant Agreement is your scholarship contract.

Registration at the partner institution

The partner institution will either contact you directly or through the Erasmus+ Partner Countries coordinator and/or the departmental coordinator of the respective project. They will inform you about the application process at their institution. In most cases you have to either apply online or hand in specific application documents (e.g. Application Form, Grant Agreement, Transcript of Records (AGNES) etc.).

Learning Agreement

The Learning Agreement is an annex to your Grant Agreement, the courses you will take during your study mobility have to be discussed with your academic coordinators both at HU and the partner institutions, as well as with the person responsible for academic recognition at HU. Please use our Learning Agreement form, and complete it electronically. Your Learning Agreement states which courses you plan to take at the partner institution, and the matching courses at HU, you would like to get the credit for. As a general rule, your study programme abroad should amount to 25-30 ECTS.

Leave of Absence

Remember to apply for a leave of absence (Urlaubssemester) when you renew your registration at HU for the semester which you will spend at the partner institution. If you stay for a year, do not forget the renewal of registration during your absence. If you apply for a leave of absence (Urlaubssemester) at the Student Service Centre (SSC) of HU, you can use your Grant Agreement as a proof of your absence.


The Erasmus+ Partner Countries Programme does not include insurance. Please make sure that the coverage from your German health insurance and additional travel insurances is sufficient for your stay abroad. In addition to the documents you have submitted with your application, you have to provide proof of sufficient insurance coverage. Your insurance must include the following components:

  • Health Insurance
  • Accident Insurance
  • Return Transport
  • Third Party Liability Insurance

If you have sufficient insurance required for the mobility, please fill in and upload the Insurance Declaration form and a scan of your insurance policy. Please note that most travel insurances do not include third party liability insurance, if you already have a German third party liability insurance, it is usually valid abroad as well. Please contact your insurance provider to make sure. If you do not have sufficient insurance required for the mobility and would like us to effect an insurance for you from our partner, please fill in and upload the Request for Insurance Support form.

Information about the insurance provided by our partner

The PROTRIPWORLD PLUS Scheme provided by our partner Dr. Walter GmbH consists of: Overseas Health Insurance, Personal Liability Insurance, Accident Insurance and Assistance Insurance. The insurance premium is currently € 1,48 per day, there are no age restrictions, and the following insurance conditions apply:

  • Overseas Health Insurance with unlimited coverage of inpatient and outpatient treatment without deductible
  • Emergency Assistance Abroad
  • Dental treatment for pain relief including simple fillings as well as repair of existing dentures and dental prosthesis per case up to 500 €, medically necessary dental treatment as a result of an accident up to 1,000 €
  • Outpatient initial treatment of mental illnesses up to 1,500 €, inpatient emergency treatment of first-time mental or emotional disorders up to 20,000 €
  • Medically effective and reasonable evacuation of the insured person to his / her place of residence unlimited coverage
  • Repatriation of the insured in case of death unlimited coverage
  • Personal liability insurance lump sum for personal injury and /or damage up to 1,000,000 € as well as damage to rented property up to 100.000 €
  • Overseas Accident Insurance: Disability max. amount 30.000 € (350% disability classification), accidental death 10.000 €
  • Baggage Insurance of up to 2.000 €


Depending on the length of the mobility, the scholarship will be paid in two or more instalments.

A nomination without funding is generally possible (Zero-Grant), the length of the mobility is taken into account for the maximum of 12 months per study cycle nonetheless.

The Erasmus+ scholarship for outgoing students currently amounts to € 650 per month. In many partner countries this amount is quite sufficient to pay for all living expenses. In other countries you will have to calculate with a much higher cost of living (€ 800-1200 per month) as compared to Berlin, depending on the country and place of study. You should calculate 50 % of your monthly allowance for the rent. There might be the possibility to receive "Auslands-BAföG" (a federally funded student loan) during the study mobility (Erasmus+ loans up to € 300 per month are not counted as income), or you could apply for a student loan (CHE offers a comparison of student loan givers). A parallel or double funding for the same expenses with funds from other EU programmes is not possible. Other scholarship donors, including the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), may provide additional funding.

After your arrival


Before you start your studies, you have to get enrolled at the partner institution. You will receive information about the enrolment process either from the partner institution, or you can find it on their website for Erasmus+ students.

Documents to be handed in to receive the first instalment

  • Grant Agreement, signed BEFORE the start of the mobility by the student and the Erasmus+ Partner Countries coordinator. The original document has already been submitted to the International Office of HU before your departure.
  • Certificate of Arrival and Departure with the confirmed arrival date, signed by the partner institution (scan by email is sufficient).
  • Copy of the modified Learning Agreement (if changes have been made) the latest three weeks after the start of the study mobility. Discuss modifications to your Learning Agreement with the academic coordinator of the partner institution. Modifications have to be made during the first two weeks of your study mobility. All changes have to be confirmed by the student, the academic coordinator at the partner institution, and the responsible coordinator at HU with their signature. Please send the last version to your academic coordinator as well as the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team at HU.

All documents have to be handed in the latest three weeks after the start of your study mobility via email to

  • Please use your HU email address for all communication purposes related to the mobility.
  • Please use the following subject: E+ Partner Countries, name partner institution, your name and first name. The payment of the first instalment will be effected after we have received the documents mentioned above.
  • Incomplete, missing, and/or late documents will result in a delay of payment of your scholarship.


At the end of your study mobility

Before you depart from host country, there is still some paperwork left to be taken care of. Keep in mind that many universities, especially in southern countries, have a summer recess, and professors might not be available during the summer months. Please take care of all necessary documents in time.

Documents to be handed in to receive the last instalment

  • At the end of your study mobility, the date of departure has to be confirmed by the partner institution on the Certificate of Arrival and Departure.
  • You will have to fill in an Online Survey. You will get an email via the Mobility Tool of the European Commission with a personalized link.
  • Before you leave the host country, please complete the Learning Agreement with the academic coordinator from the partner institution. All your coursework and the credit points earned have to be listed on page 5 of the Learning Agreement and confirmed with the signature of the respective coordinator at the partner institution. The academic recognition of these courses has to be confirmed by your coordinator at HU. Make sure that an original Transcript of Records (ToR) is being sent by the partner institution to HU via postal mail. All your coursework, exams, and the credit points (ECTS) earned, are listed on the ToR. This simplifies the recognition process! As opposed to Erasmus+ Programme Countries, the ToR is not a mandatory document. The confirmed Learning Agreement listing all coursework and credit points is sufficient for the academic recognition. The Learning Agreement has to be submitted to the faculty/department at HU as well as to the Erasmus+ Partner Countries team of Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.
  • All documents have to be handed in the latest three weeks after the end of the study mobility at the partner institution via email to Incomplete, missing, and/or late documents will result in a delay of payment of your scholarship, or at worst, either the non-payment of the final instalment or the reclaim of the whole scholarship.

Academic recognition

After your return to HU you need to make an appointment with your department's registrar and/or academic coordinator for the recognition of the credit points (ECTS) received at the partner institution towards your degree at HU. The burden of proof for the non-recognition of coursework completed abroad lies with Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, viz. the examination board (cf. Lisbon Recognition Convention). The crucial factor for the academic recognition is the evidence of successfully completed scholastic work (Transcript of Records), not the (number of hours of) workload of the courses taken during the study mobility.