Health Insurance

In this rubric, you can find information about Health Insurance coverage for international students and students from Humboldt-Universität planning to study abroad.

For enrolment, you need proof that you have health insurance. Here are a few more explanations:

1. Students from countries with social security agreements Students from EU member states as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland must bring their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which is valid as proof of entitlement in Germany. For recognition, you must register with a German health insurance fund by sending a message with your EHIC attached to one of the student advisors of the statutory health insurance funds listed below (for contacts, see below). You will then be sent an uncomplicated insurance certificate, which you can present when you enrol. Please note: You should always mention this health insurance company when you go to the doctor.
Students from Bosnia-Herzegovina, Northern Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Turkey and Tunisia, with whom Germany has a social security agreement, proceed in the same way. However, if you need medical treatment, you would have to contact this health insurance fund again.

2. Students with private health insurance
Students who have private health insurance in their home country are nevertheless subject to compulsory insurance in Germany. After a personal consultation (e.g. at the AOK, BARMER, DAK, Die Techniker, for contacts see table below), you can also be exempted from compulsory insurance. In this case, you will receive a form "Befreiung von der gesetzlichen Krankenversicherungspflicht" (exemption from compulsory health insurance), which you present at enrolment.
enlightened However, you should note that once you have been exempted from this compulsory insurance, you will no longer be able to switch to a statutory health insurance fund during your entire period of study in Germany. For uncomplicated billing at the doctor's or hospital, we recommend German health insurance.

3. All other students
In principle, all students are required to be insured. Accordingly, you must take out insurance with a statutory health insurance company of your choice.
The German embassy often asks for proof of valid travel health insurance for 3 months when you apply for a visa. This can only be a stop-gap measure, as you will have to be covered by statutory health insurance from the start of the semester on 01.04. or 01.10.

The monthly contribution to the statutory health insurance funds for students is currently around 110 EUR and consists of a contribution for health insurance and a contribution for long-term care insurance. The additional contributions vary depending on the health insurance company.

You can contact the AOK, BARMER, DAK or Die Techniker from home and, if necessary, take out health insurance; the student advisors listed below will be happy to help you:

AOK Nordost
Christopher Manicke
Phone: (+49 331) 27 72-24632
Phone: 0800 26 50 80-24632 *)

Julia Melchior
Phone: 0800 333004 101-241 *)
Mobile: (+49) 151 11 30 28 35

DAK – Gesundheit
Jessica Meschkat
Phone: (+49 711) 47 07 97-11 11

Die Techniker (TK)
Lutz Matuschke
Phone: (+49 40) 460 65 10 37 07

*) free of charge in Germany

Important information on further insurance cover
enlightened We would like to draw your attention to the fact that you do not yet have student status in the period before the semester begins and that you are responsible for your own insurance cover (this applies, for example, to participants in the intensive language courses before the semester begins). We recommend that you take out travel insurance (Reiseversicherung) for the period between your journey and enrolment (this can already be helpful when applying for a visa).

When you enrol for the summer semester, you will have student status from 01.04., when you enrol for the winter semester, you will have student status from 01.10. This means that you will have proven your health insurance cover from this date on. Through the university, you will also be covered by the statutory accident insurance (gesetzliche Unfallversicherung) for your direct route to and from the university as well as for study-related activities that are directly connected to the university.

It would be conceivable to take out additional accident insurance (Unfallversicherung) for your leisure time.

We generally recommend that you take out personal liability insurance (Privathaftpflichtversicherung) for your entire stay in Berlin in case you cause damage to third parties in your flat or elsewhere. Small damages can often lead to large costs, which is why this insurance is by far one of the most important insurance policies here.

► More information and private health insurance providers


For HU students

HU students who study abroad stay enrolled at Humboldt-Universität. For this reason students have to maintain their German health insurance coverage.

More information and private health insurance providers for HU-students studying abroad are coming soon in English, for now you can check the German version





Tel.: (+49 30)20 93-46 747