1.1 Extension of the residence permit

enlightened The HU Visa Service can currently only offer the service of submitting the documents for applying for a residence permit according to § 16b AufenthG to the LEA for programme students (i.e. exchange students, scholarship holders). All other students please refer to our information on the Visa Service homepage under point 1.
Please make sure that you apply for the extension of your residence permit in good time, approx. 6-8 weeks before your current residence permit expires!

In the following, we explain our procedure in two steps. If you have any questions, please contact us via Zoom or e-mail.


The following documents need to be submitted in the given order online in ONE PDF file to: visaservice@hu-berlin.de

  1. Application form for HU visa service (cover sheet)
    Please fill out this form so that we have an overview of all your information and contact details. This should be the first sheet of the entire PDF, followed by all other documents.
  2. Passport
    Please colour scan the pages in the passport with the personal details. The scans of the passports must also show the signature.
  3. Last residence permit
    Please colour scan the electronic residence card (eAT) including the additional sheet (Zusatzblatt) or scan the page with the residence permit in your passport (adhesive label).
  4. Current certificate of enrolment (Studienbescheinigung), retrievable via AGNES under Certificates (Bescheinigungen)
    Programme exchange students have to submit in addition their official letter of confirmation (confirmation of admission on the basis of an exchange programme not leading to a degree - Bestätigung zum Programmstudium ohne Abschluss), as this document shows how many semesters are planned for study at the university.
  5. Study forecast (Studienprognose) with transcript of records (Leistungsübersicht) from the Examination Office of your faculty (Prüfungsbüro) for studies of longer duration or if requested by the Berlin Immigration Office, more...
  6. Proof of sufficient financial resources, for example an account statement of the previous 6 months, a work contract, scholarship certificate or surety (Bürgschaft), more...
  7. Proof of health insurance(the reference for proof of statutory health insurance must be no more than 3 months old) more... 
    The private health insurance must cover the duration of the stay in Berlin or be valid for at least 12 months.
  8. Registration at the Local Registration Office of the Berlin boroughs (Bürgeramt)
  9. Data privacy statement, the form can be edited and signed in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC under "Tools".
  10. If applicable, marriage certificate and birth certificate(s) of accompanying spouse and children
  11. If applicable, documentation of enrolment (Schulbescheinigung) of school-aged children.


As soon as your documents have been processed, you will receive an e-mail via us with an appointment at the LEA office in Berlin-Charlottenburg, Keplerstraße 2, 10589 Berlin. You will have to appear there in person to get the residence permit as adhesive label into your passport. You will need to bring the following with you:

  • E-mail invitation (electronically or printed)
  • Passport
  • If applicable 1 current biometric passport photo, more...
  • Fee (cash or EC-card), amounts to about 49 Euro
    Students with scholarships and funding from public German or EU funds will keep on being exempt from the fees.

NB: Students whose stay has not yet been finally decided on and who have to travel abroad, may apply for a fictional certificate (Fiktionsbescheinigung). If you receive a hearing (Anhörung) in the post from the LEA with a deadline, take the letter very seriously and get in touch with us as soon as possible if you need help. 


More information about the eAT can be found on the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge).



Visa Service

Unter den Linden 6

Consultation Hours:

Tuesdays via Zoom
Pls. register

(+49 30)
20 93-46 746