1. Application for a residence permit

enlightened  The HU Visa Service can currently only offer the service of submitting the documents for applying for a residence permit in accordance with § 16b AufenthG to the LEA for programme exchange students and scholarship holders. All other students please take note of our information on the Visa Service homepage under point 1.

Please take care of your residence permit application as soon as possible after your entry, before the expiry of your visa and bear in mind longer processing times!

Procedure of application via the HU Visa Service:

STEP 1:  In the following, we explain our procedure in two steps. If you have any questions, please contact us via Zoom or e-mail.

The following documents need to be submitted in the given order online in ONE PDF file to: visaservice@hu-berlin.de

  1. Application form for HU visa service (cover sheet)
    Please fill out this form so that we have an overview of all your information and contact details. This should be the first sheet of the entire PDF, followed by all other documents.
  2. Copy of passport
    Please scan the pages in the passport (colour scan required!) with the personal details, and  mandatorily the page with the D visa and the entry stamp (if this is not available, then train or plane tickets as proof of the date of entry). 
    The scans of the passports must also show the signature.
  3. Application for a residence permit
    The form can be found online in PDF format in the following languages: German, English, French, Italian and German, Greek, Turkish, Vietnamese and German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian and German, Serbian, Bosnian. The form can be edited and signed in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC under "Tools", please do not fill in by hand.
  4. Current certificate of enrolment (Studienbescheinigung), retrievable via AGNES under certificates (Bescheinigungen). The certificate of enrollment (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) is NOT sufficient.
    Programme exchange students must additionally submit their official letter of confirmation (confirmation of admission on the basis of an exchange programme not leading to a degree - Bestätigung zum Programmstudium ohne Abschluss), as this document shows how many semesters are planned for study at the university.
  5. Proof of sufficient financial resources, for example a blocked account, work contract, scholarship certificate or surety (Bürgschaft), a bank statement is (for the most part) not sufficient, more...
  6. Proof of health insurance, the reference for proof of statutory health insurance must be no more than 3 months old (the private health insurance must cover the duration of the stay in Berlin or be valid for at least 12 months), more...
  7. Registration at the Local Registration Office of the Berlin boroughs (Bürgeramt). The registration form (Anmeldung bei der Meldebehörde) as well as a template for the confirmation of move-in from the landlord (Einzugsbestätigung des Wohnungsgebers) are both available online. [The sample registration form with an English translation may help you.]
  8. Data privacy statement, the form can be edited and signed in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC under "Tools".
  9. If applicable, marriage certificate and birth certificate(s) of accompanying spouse and children.
  10. If applicable, tenancy contract in case of family reunification.
  11. If applicable, documentation of enrolment of school-aged children (Schulbescheinigung).



As soon as your documents have been processed, you will receive an e-mail from us with an appointment at the LEA office in Berlin-Charlottenburg, Keplerstraße 2, 10589 Berlin. You will have to appear there in person to get your residence permit as adhesive label into your passport. You will need to bring the following with you:

  • E-mail invitation (electronically or printed)
  • Passport
  • If applicable 1 current biometric passport photo, more...
  • Fee (cash or EC-card), 56 Euro (less for Turkey and Switzerland)
    Students with scholarships and funding from public German or EU funds will keep on being exempt from the fees.

► Extension of the residence permit


More information about the eAT can be found on the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge).


Visa Service

Unter den Linden 6

Consultation Hours:

Tuesdays via Zoom
Pls. register

(+49 30)
20 93-46 746